12.03.2007

Special Mention: Non-Music Album

Patton Oswalt - Werewolves and Lollipops (Sub Pop)
Now I'm no comedy aficionado, and I know there were probably some other worthy comedy albums released this year (is that Michael Showalter album any good?), but as far as I can tell, this is some of the funniest stand up I've ever heard. Oswalt has a very relatable, down-to-earth style that makes his comedy approachable. It doesn't scream at you and wave its hands in your face. It relies on solid writing, keen observation, and great timing. The utter lack of gimmickry is what makes Oswalt's material so refreshing. The KFC Famous Bowl, a film called Deathbed: the bed that eats people, and a science class called "Physics for Poets" are among just a few of the subjects tackled. Patton is totally aware of his nerdiness, and he revels in it, which makes it easy for him to poke fun at himself, and should make it easier for geeks everywhere to laugh at their own goofy behavior. I could go on but really its something you need to listen to. I can almost guarantee it will turn any bad day around, and will make a good day that much better.

No comments: